I am working on a paper on American exceptionalism that hopefully will lay the groundwork for a book in the not-too-distant future.
I would like to solicit some insightful feedback on the question, Is America exceptional? A number of questions fit under this larger question–
- Is America the greatest nation in human history?
- Is America the hope of the world?
- Is America a city on a hill?
- Does America enjoy unique blessings from God?
- Does belief in American exceptionalism serve as a litmus test for authentic patriotism?
- Can one affirm American uniqueness without affirming American exceptionalism?
- What warrant is available to base a belief in American exceptionalism?
- Have any other nations in history claimed exceptionalism? Could any nation in history claim exceptionalism? What would that mean for America, if other nations could make legitimate claims on exceptionalism?
- Has America always been exceptional? In other words, could America claim exceptionalism before it was a world power?
- Is exceptionalism demonstrated by economic indicators? Military? Cultural? Religious? Political? Aesthetic? Demographic?
I’d love your thoughts and ideas. If you have other questions that should be added to the list, I’d love those, too. Also, if you’ve read any relevant books or articles on this issue, please let me know.