Let’s summarize our findings in this last part of the series on whether or not the gospel accounts of the resurrection are contradictory.
I am going to list all the events that are pertinent to the resurrection in chronological order. You can use the key below to reference each event as narrated in the gospel accounts.
Directions: Each event is listed in chronological order according to the gospel accounts. References are cited by the following code
f—I Corinthians 15
The appropriate citations that correspond to the specific reference are given in superscript following the event.
- Mary Magdaleneabd, the other Maryab, Salomeb went to the tomb at early dawnabcd on the first day of the week.abcd
2-4 occur while the women were en route to the tomb.
- There was an earthquake.a
- An angel descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and sat on it.a
- The guards were afraid and became as dead men.a
- As the women were drawing near to the tomb, they wondered who would roll away the stone for them.b
- They saw that the stone had already been rolled away.bcd.
- They entered the tomb and did not find Jesus’ body.bcd
- Mary Magdalene left the tomb to find Peter and John and tell them that Jesus’ body was missing.d The other women stayed behind while Mary Magdalene left in despair, confusion and grief.
9-11 takes place while Mary Magdalene is absent from the tomb, looking for Peter and John.
- At the tomb, while they were still inside, they were perplexed,c and saw two angels,c one of them on the right side.b
- One of the angels spoke, and said, a) Fear not,ab b) I know you seek Jesus,ab c) why do you seek the living among the dead,c d) Jesus is not here,abc e) He is risen,ab f) just as He said,a g) remember how He told you that He would be crucified and rise again,c h) come behold the place where they laid Him,ab i) go, tell the disciples,ab j) He is going before you into Galilee,ab k) you will see Him there.ab
- They left the tomb quickly in fear and joy going to the disciples, saying nothing to anyone.abc
By this time, Mary Magdalene had found Peter and John and told them the tomb was empty.
- Peter and John arrive at the tomb, John having outrun Peter.d
- John did not go in, but stooped down and looked inside—he saw the linen cloths by themselves.d
- Peter went inside the tomb and saw how the linens were arranged.d
- Neither understood the Scriptures, which said that He must rise again.
- Peter and John went to their own homes.d
- Mary remained outside the tomb weeping, and she stooped down to look inside the tomb. She saw the two angels, one at the head, and the other at the feet of where Jesus had lain.d
- The two angels reappeared.d
- They asked her, “Why are you weeping?” She replied that she did not know where the Lord’s body was.d
- She then turned around and saw Jesus, but she thought He was the gardener. He asked her the same question, and “Whom do you seek?”d
- She answered again, and Jesus said her name, at which time she recognized Him and worshiped Him.d
- Jesus told her to go and tell the other disciples that He was alive.d
- Jesus met the other women as they were going—they worshiped Him and He told them to proceed on to the disciples.a
- Mary Magdalene went to tell the disciples that Jesus was alive, but they did not believe her.bd
- Jesus appeared to two other believers on the road to Emmaus, who did not recognize Him at first. They told the disciples that Jesus was alive.bc
- The disciples did not believe them either.bc
- At evening on the same day,bcd Jesus appeared to the disciples.abcd They thought He was a ghostc until they touched Him and gave Him something to eat.c
- Christ expounded to them in all the Scriptures and opened their understanding.c
- After eight daysd Christ appeared to Thomas in order to disspell his doubts.
- Christ appeared to the disciples at the Sea of Tiberias, whereupon He asked Peter three times if he loved Him.d
- Christ appeared to five hundred at once, of whom Paul said several were still alive in his own day.f
- Christ gives the Great Commission to go into the world making disciples and baptizing in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.abc
- Christ appeared to James, as reported by Paul.f
- Over the course of forty days, Christ appeared to the disciples, and spoke to them concerning the things of the kingdom of God.e
- Christ commanded the disciples not to leave Jerusalem until they had been endued with power from the Holy Spirit.ce
- Christ led the disciples out as far as Bethanyc and then was taken into heaven as they worshiped Him.c
- Two angels told the disciples that this same Jesus who had ascended would return in like manner.e
- Christ appeared to Paul on the road to Damascus.g